Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A very small forest, the central catchment area is...

Last week I presented some of my students' work at the 8th Flora Malesiana conference. It was on the gene flow of some species of native plants in Singapore (which included Rhopaloblaste singaporensis) and also a short highlight on palm distribution projects that I am starting with my current JC students. The gene flow work was from Shufen's excellent work for her Honours thesis.

In preparation for one of the slides to show where the individuals of Rhopaloblaste singaporensis was collected (with permits from NParks) for the DNA sampling, I realised how small our Central Catchment Nature Reserve is. This area would include Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, Macritchie reservoir, Pierce reservoir and Nee Soon Swamp forest.

5B35EB43-3942-4E97-AB52-F8E335F90909.jpg


I used Google Earth to measure the width of the Catchment area and what I got was a little over 5km at some points.... And then it dawned on me also that we could easily walk round Macritchie in 1.5 hours.

So that was one of those epiphanies I got in preparation for that talk and it lingers.

When I brought 2 of my students to map the distribution of palms in Macritchie, they told me their friends had asked them "why work on the forest palms when there are so many palm species in the urban landscape, along the wayside and in the gardens"... Well, it didn't take too long, as we began to map and identify the forest species, before they realised that the forest species are special, threatened and misunderstood.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home