Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Zendogs ride again - part deux!!

The fact that we even embarked on today's ride was a feat in itself as the last ride was just 3 days ago. What's important in a zendog ride are the kakis...becos that means there's gonna be good conversation and some good makan. Most importantly, the kakis are motivation to wake up at 5.45 am to get ready.

Otterman's speedometer showed a total distance of 84.19km, in 4hrs 48 mins and 11s.

Most of the Zendogs couldn't make it but we are on leave. The park connectors were ours in a sense as there were few people about. The highlight of the day for Siva was when we met up with another cyclist who was testing out the park connectors at Loyang to Changi and we started talking. He said he was doing some cardio and Siva said,"Oh, we are just going for breakfast at Changi..." The guy must have been baffled when he found out I was coming from Sengkang and Siva from Holland Village, just to go to rustic Changi Village for breakfast... ha. Which was a kosong and egg prata.

This is the view of the Serangoon PCN which I use to get to Tampines Road. Its scenic and with quite a few users, young kids, people jogging and some fishing or doing taichi.
DSC00012.JPG

That's Siva on the Changi Coast PCN in the forest of rhus (Casuarina equisetifolia). It was surreal looking at the scene; it felt like I was in some pine forest in a colder clime.
DSC00021.JPG

That's Siva not on a PCN and being a dawg... and trying out a new route, which in reality was not a route but some grassy space near a longkang, with lots of fallen branches.
DSC00017.JPG

A helmet light courtesy of Siva. Which came in handy as my backlight konked off on the way back. More accessories for the bike!
DSC00014.JPG

I also bought a backpouch for the bike. I left my chain for locking the bike back home today - and boy did that make a difference. I now have to remove the basket (to reduce wind resistance), oil the wheels and chains. The long distance ride's pretty different from the short one (an hour) I take to work, so every thing counts. I also badly need a cycling shirt because today I realised I got abrasions. Well as Siva puts it, I am on the slippery road to getting a full kit... Now I know what I want for Christmas...

This is the Bedok Reservoir PCN.
DSC00044.JPG.

I had a PCN map handy from Sungei Buloh Nature Reserves and I used that to navigate. It was extremely useful and using the PCN was pretty easy. But I got lost at the Bedok Reservoir area and I think those people at the bus stop must have been thinking I was doing laps as I rode up and down the same road over 3 times looking for the park connector but luckily a taxi driver and an aunty on a bike going to the market helped me to Bedok Reservoir where the PCN was.

Although the map is good, there are some deficiencies, minor ones - the Bedok Reservoir Road area is a bit misleading as it doesn't show the cross-roads.

Well, it was a nice ride and especially with things so quiet. The steady rain pelting on us along the Changi Coastal Road PCN was a nice feeling. At the end of the ride, at least my knees didn't complain like the ride on Saturday. But I am sure if i try to take a big step up the stairs, my legs will give.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sivasothi said...

Dude! that was some ride!

5:46 PM  
Anonymous zahidah said...

i would love to have more pic on singapore park connector.because am using this as my reference case for my final topical study.could u pls contact me..thanks

12:28 PM  
Anonymous zahidah said...

here is my email add..zahidahjamil@gmail.com

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home