Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Did you feel the tremors?" - Part 2

I was watching Makansutra on the Asian Food Channel when suddenly I felt the TV screen with Seetoh eating his chengtng swaying. He had just mentioned that the chengtng he was eating from that shop was not sour, so the ingredients were of high quality.

I thought it was a giddy spell, as I have had one two many meetings these few days. But having experienced the swaying buildings before in March this year (see this post by me and this post by Otterman), I knew it may be another tremor. I could definitely feel the sway, so I asked the wife, wassup? She was listening to snow patrol and suddenly felt giddy and then we saw the one of our kids' bag hanging on the doorknob sway. And then the building swayed a little again.... So we decided let's just walk down stairs bringing the kids who thought it all fun. So before I could feel paiseh about it, I met quite a few block members hanging around the pavement and looking at the buildings. The ground floor of the flats across the junction were also gathered some people who were also looking up at the buildings.

Called Siva, because he would probably be online and being so Web2.0 savvy could check out what was happening. I remembered also that he knew where to check in real time the websites that reported earthquakes, but he didn't answer handphone, so called Ladybug who was at a seminar/class but didn't feel anything even though her friend later said the projector screen was shaking... Finally got Siva and he checked up the useful USGS site to tell me that it was a Sumatran earthquake measuring about 8 in magnitude. Check out his first post today about it here and the second one on how to report tremors.

Check out also Leafmonkey's extensive and interesting perspective of Singaporean's reactions to the tremors.

Later our upstairs neighbour recalled that she was trying to put her baby to sleep when felt the bed moving, so she listened out to see if there were anyone in the block screaming, a measure of how serious the situation was and then went back to tuck her baby into bed.

Here are some pictures at Sengkang. By this time the crowd slowly petered out.







One of the families brought down a suitcase.

By this time, the crowd was petering off and I was relaying to them Siva's news that it was a sumatran earthquake.

extra notes

Jen said she felt giddy cos maybe she had been too busy with her flu and work

Siva said that he felt giddy cos he thought he was fighting off an infection and overworking on lectures

I said I felt giddy because I thought, that's it, must be the many meetings I have attended this week.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sivasothi said...

Why do we Singaporeans find feeling giddy to be normal? We've all got to slow down!

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt giddy and thought it was my fever!

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home