Thursday, March 23, 2006

"Gora", "Birthday book" and "A Short History of Nearly Everything"



I got this book "Gora" by Tagore at the end of the weeklong break and read about half of it. Its been said to be Tagore's masterpiece. It's really been fine reading, easy and smooth, full of essence, like a "kretek" if you will. The writing flows like a river and is tedium-free.

Got another book as well - "Tagore Birthday Book". Let's see for my birthdate, the entry reads - "God loves man's lamp-lights btter than his own great stars" - from Stray Birds

ON July 26 - it reads
"The highest education is that which makes our life in harmony with all existence." from Personality
This reminds me of the time I was on top of Gunung Ledang and looking north across Banjaran Titiwangsa.


THe last book was a recommedation by otterman and another lecturer of mine. Bill Bryson's shot at the history of everything. It sits there heavily on my couch.

1 Comments:

Blogger chengpuay said...

May I also recommend 'Guns Germs and Steel' and 'Collapse of Nations' by Jared Diamond.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home